Riding the school bus is a privilege!
Transportation Safety Rules and Tips for Parents & Students!
Weather & Delays:
During bad weather, the Transportation Services Department will provide the required transportation. However, services may have to be modified to insure students' safety and welfare. Traffic conditions may require students to spend additional time en route to and from school as well as special activities or programs.
Regulations for Pupils Riding School Buses:
It is important for all involved district administrators, school bus drivers, parents, and students to understand the rules that students are expected to follow. School bus transportation is authorized only for students who regularly enrolled in public school.
The 27J Transportation Services Department provides district students with the best and safest vehicles and drivers. We ask for your cooperation in helping to ensure that your child complies with the follow regulations:
From Home to the Bus Stop!
While waiting to board a bus here are a few things to keep in mind for everyone's safety!
A) When leaving your home, go directly to your bus stop. Always leave home on time so you can walk to the bus stop and Arrive at your bus stop five (5) minutes ahead of the bus. The driver will NOT wait for you!
B) Learn your route number and who your driver is. It is imperative that you use your ASSIGNED bus stop each day!
C) Keep the roadway clear of books, clothing, and other articles. Never play in the path of traffic, and stand 10ft away from the road when the bus approaches.
D) Do NOT Damage property, such as flowers, shrubbery, windows, fences, and other items while waiting for the bus.
E) Avoid making excessive noise.
F) Remember that FIGHTING at bus stops, and/or on the way to and from a school bus stop, subjects the student to DISCIPLINARY ACTION (to be reported to the school Principal).
G) Do NOT RUN alongside the bus when the bus is moving. Wait until the bus stops; then walk to the door and board the bus in an orderly manner. DO NOT PUSH OR SHOVE.
H) If you live on the opposite side of the road from a bus stop, wait on your side of the road until the bus arrives and the driver gives the signal to cross the road.
Please note: In an effort to ensure student safety and reduce student management issues and concerns video cameras may be used to monitor students during transportation to and from school and after school activities.
While Riding the Bus:
Riding the school bus is a privilege. Repeated and/or serious misconduct can result in loss of riding privileges!
1) Obey the driver and the paraprofessional's instructions. The driver of a school bus is in complete charge of the passengers while they are aboard. The paraprofessional is on the bus to assist the driver and to help students with special needs. Both adults share in the care of your students. Any questions call transportation at 303/655/2991.
2) Keep in mind the driver has the authority to assign seats.
3) Be seated immediately, and remain seated while the bus is in motion or until the driver gives the all clear.
4) Do not extend arms,legs, or head out of the bus doors or windows at any time!
5) Talk in a normal tone so that you do not distract the driver.
6) Do not sit on books or backpacks hold them in your lap. Books and other objects are NOT to be piled in the aisle. Band instruments or other large objects will be allowed on the bus ONLY if the items can be held in the student's lap.
7) Keep the aisle and emergency exits clear of all belongings.
8) Do NOT tamper with the emergency door, fire extinguisher, or other equipment on the bus.
9) Absolutely no eating, drinking, or gum chewing allowed on the bus at any time!
10) Pointed or sharp objects such as pens, pencils, or scissors WILL remain in your backpack or notebook at all times.
11) Glass containers of any type are not allowed on the bus.
12) Absolutely no pets, insects, dead or alive are permitted on the bus at any time!
13) DO NOT mar or deface the bus. Seat coverings must not be damaged in any manner. Anyone caught damaging the equipment will be subject to disciplinary action and/or restitution.
14) DO NOT fight or scuffle on the bus or create any loud disturbances.
15) DO NOT wave or shout to pedestrians or occupants of other vehicles, and do not throw objects from the bus window.
16) Keep the bus clean. DO NOT throw trash of any kind on the floor!
17) TOBACCO PRODUCTS are NOT PERMITTED on school property including the school bus!
18) PROFANITY and OBSCENE SIGNS on the bus are PROHIBITED.
19) Skateboards are NOT ALLOWED on the bus.
20) Flammable materials, lighters, matches, and other such paraphernalia are not allowed on the bus.
21) DO NOT throw objects from the bus.
22) Keep your hands to yourself!
23) Respect others' personal space and property.
On the Trip Home...
A) You are permitted to leave the bus only at the regular designated stop. Any change MUST be made in WRITING by Parent's/guardian's and the note MUST be signed by a school ADMINISTRATOR. A phone call to transportation from parent's/guardian will be acceptable.
B) Leave school property. DO NOT hang out at the school location.
C) Assist younger children when leaving the bus.
D) If you MUST CROSS the street, walk ten (10) feet in FRONT of the bus and look up at your driver for his/her okay to step into the street. Then, WALK ten (10) feet to the OUTSIDE EDGE of the bus, STOP and LOOK both ways to be certain all traffic has stopped and then proceed to the other side of the street.
E) Go Directly HOME!
For Your Child's Safety When Crossing the Street....
If a student lives on the opposite side of a road from the bus stop, the student should go to the front of the bus and wait until the bus driver gives the signal to cross the road. Never cross the road behind the stopped bus. Always stand ten (10) feet from the street when waiting to get on the bus.
After school Activities,Sports and Field Trips:
The same rules and regulations apply any time you ride a school bus.
Pre-School and Kindergarten Students...
Parents meeting the pre-school and kindergarten students MUST be at the bus stop five (5) minutes prior to the bus' arrival. If a parent/guardian or designated person is not at the stop to receive the student/s he/she will be taken back to the school!